Based in Newcastle NSW, Catapult dance Choreographic Hub is a ‘not for profit’ contemporary dance organisation for professional artists, emerging artists, young people and the community.
Our mission is to strengthen the presence of contemporary dance in Newcastle, the Central Coast and Greater Hunter, by creating a hub for dance artists to develop their practice, gain skills and collaborate across disciplines: extending their networks and profile both in the professional arts and broader community – propelling dancers forward.
Help Catapult Dance Choreographic Hub continue to provide extraordinary programs for professional choreographers, professional dancers, emerging artists, young people through Catapult’s youth initiative: The Flipside Project, First Nations young artists, and the wider Hunter community through: subsidised venue support, drop-in classes, and outreach programs.
Donate to Catapult before 30 June via the link and receive your tax deductible receipt.
This donation will also supports Catapult Dance Choreographic Hub in its implementation of our upcoming international/regional partnerships, providing Hunter professional dancers and choreographers opportunities to create work in collaboration with artists from Hong Kong International Choreography Festival, ilDance: Sweden, Kate Weare: New York, and Rachel Erdos: Israel: both in Newcastle and overseas.
Catapult’s Programs Include:
CATAPULT COMPANY – A professional dance company structure, with works commissioned by mid-career choreographers with scores by Hunter based composers.
PROPEL CHOREOGRAPHIC RESIDENCIES: Professional Artist in Residence Program Includes:
- Choreographic and Multi-Disciplinary Residencies: bringing together Australia’s renown mid-career choreographers collaborating with Hunter Based Multi-Disciplinary Artists
- Hunter Seed Residencies: Residencies for emerging choreographers
- International/Regional Residencies: Bringing International choreographers & artists to Newcastle, to seed new work in collaboration with professional Australian dancers
The FLIPSIDE PROJECT: Youth dance and multi- arts program and ensemble. Awarded 2017 an Australian Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement in Youth Dance, Recipient of 2015 & 2016 City of Newcastle Dramatic Arts Award for excellence in choreography.
COMMUNITY COMMUNITY: Drop-In classes, community & outreach programs, schools workshops
Our venue, has two large studios with sprung floors, the venue has the capacity to hold professional choreographic residencies, youth projects, showings and performances, as well as workshops
Core Aims and Objectives:
- BUILD a contemporary dance sector in Newcastle, and create a hub of national & international significance for professional choreographers, emerging artists, young people and the community to create and develop as artists in Newcastle.
- LEAD, CULTIVATE & CHAMPION professional contemporary dance practitioners, established NSW multi-disciplinary artists and regional emerging artists through long-term choreographic residencies and professional opportunities in regional NSW.
- OPPORTUNITIES for young people of the Newcastle, Hunter and Central Coast regions to access and participate in contemporary dance, and evolve into the next generation of Australia’s premier contemporary dance artists
- FOSTER an appreciative audience for contemporary dance work and build audience capacity in the Hunter region by broadening our profile, reach and reputation regionally, nationally and internationally.
Catapult Dance Studio at 880 Hunter St Newcastle West