Catapult Dance Choreographic Hub, Newcastle is a contemporary dance and multi-arts organisation that cultivates, and champions mid-career and emerging professional dance choreographers, multidisciplinary artists, with strong programs with and for young people and the community. The organisation is a critical component of art-form development in NSW with strong cultural value in the Hunter region.
Our Vision is to be a leader in contemporary arts, transforming Newcastle into a regional epi-centre of collaborative choreographic and multi-disciplinary arts practice with regional, national and international recognition.
An incubator and producer of the highest quality professional dance practices; curating established national and international dance practitioners to collaborate with regionally based artists, championing choreographic development, and building new communities for contemporary practice.
A leader for the development of choreographers and art-form, and a regional hub committed to choreographic development and creative practices for young people, and the broader community.
Catapult’s Programs Include:
CATAPULT COMPANY: – A professional dance company structure, with project works commissioned by mid-career choreographers with scores by Hunter based composers.
PROPEL CHOREOGRAPHIC RESIDENCIES: Professional Artist in Residence Program Includes:
- Choreographic and Multi-Disciplinary Residencies: bringing together Australia’s renown mid-career choreographers collaborating with Hunter Based Multi-Disciplinary Artists
- Hunter Seed Residencies: Residencies for emerging choreographers
- International/Regional Residencies: Bringing International choreographers & artists to Newcastle, to seed new work in collaboration with professional Australian dancers
The FLIPSIDE PROJECT: Youth dance and multi- arts program and ensemble. Awarded 2017 an Australian Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement in Youth Dance, Recipient of 2015 & 2016 City of Newcastle Dramatic Arts Award for excellence in choreography.
COMMUNITY COMMUNITY: Drop-In classes, community & outreach programs, schools workshops
Our venue, has two large studios with sprung floors, the venue has the capacity to hold professional choreographic residencies, youth projects, showings and performances, as well as workshops
Core Aims and Objectives:
- BUILD a contemporary dance sector in Newcastle, and create a hub of national & international significance for professional choreographers, emerging artists, young people and the community to create and develop as artists in Newcastle.
- LEAD, CULTIVATE & CHAMPION professional contemporary dance practitioners, established NSW multi-disciplinary artists and regional emerging artists through long-term choreographic residencies and professional opportunities in regional NSW.
- OPPORTUNITIES for young people of the Newcastle, Hunter and Central Coast regions to access and participate in contemporary dance, and choreographic development, to evolve into the next generation of Australia’s contemporary dance artists
- FOSTER an appreciative audience for contemporary dance work and build audience capacity in the Hunter region by broadening our profile, reach,participation and reputation regionally, nationally and internationally.
Catapult Dance Studio at 880 Hunter St Newcastle West